Telephone Customer Service “WOW!” Factors
Effective communication skills are fundamental in today’s work environment. Impressions are formed within seconds. All businesses should ensure that a positive first impression is made with every call. Low morale and lack of enthusiasm make for a negative call experience. Studies suggest that 13% of callers who have what they perceive as a negative experience will tell at least 20 other people.
Professional Call Centers incorporate a robust training program and on-going coaching that ensures the following key performance indicators are securely in place. Grade your call center or in-house telephone customer service on a scale of 1-10 and measure the “WOW FACTOR” as defined by the following criteria:
- The caller is greeted with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- The agent sounds interested, pleasant, and helpful.
- The agent states his/her name.
- The entire answer phrase is articulated clearly without rushing.
- The call is answered in three rings (18 seconds) or less.
- Hold time, if any, is minimal.
- Phrases such as “please” and “thank you” are used appropriately.
- If the caller is put on hold, they are asked permission first.
- A polite return from hold is spoken.
- The caller is guided throughout the call with appropriate questions.
- Awkward pauses or silences are avoided
- Proper business phrasing is used throughout the call.
- Slang is not acceptable (e.g, “Yup”, “Nope”, “Okey Dokey”, “All righty”, “Ain’t”).
Knowledge / Confidence
- Agent sounds knowledgeable about the business, products, and services.
- The call flows smoothly
- Agent enunciates clearly, does not mumble and speaks at an appropriate pace and volume.
- Agent confirms the correct spelling of the caller’s name.
- Agent confirms the caller’s contact information.
- Agent advises the caller about how the message will be handled.
- Agent reassures the caller by advising what will be done.
- Agent sounds engaged with the caller (i.e., compassionate, concerned, and interested).
Does your call center or in-house telephone customer service measure up to these standards? We do!